Sri Lanka's involvement with Nuclear Science and Technology began in 1957 when it became a founder member of the International Atomic Energy Agency. This was followed by the establishment of the Radioisotope Centre of the University of Colombo in 1962 and the establishment of the Atomic Energy Authority in 1970 by the Atomic Energy Authority Act no. 19 of 1969. The Atomic Energy Authority Act delegated two main responsibilities to the AEA, namely, promotion of the utilization of nuclear technology for the benefit of the people of Sri Lanka, and the protection of workers engaged in using radiation and radioisotopes and the public from harmful effects of ionizing radiation.
Sri Lanka Atomic Energy Regulatory Council
- Sri Lanka Atomic Energy Regulatory Council No. 977/18, Kandy Road, Bulugaha Junction, Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
- 011 298 7860