Development of Technical Education in Sri Lanka The first Institution for formal Technical Education in Sri Lanka was established in the latter part of the year 1893. This Institution was known as the Government Technical School and was housed in a renovated coffee store situated at close proximity to the Ceylon Government Railway Terminal building at Maradana in Central Colombo. The Institution consisted of a small workshop, laboratory, lecture room and a class room and the student enrollment of the first batch was only 25. The Technical School later became the pioneering institution for science education in Sri Lanka. Prior to the establishment of the Ceylon Medical College, Chemistry, Physics, Biology & Science for medical students were conducted at Ceylon Technical College. Courses in Science for school teachers were also provided and they too became the pioneers of teaching Science in the general education system.
Department of Technical Education and Training
- Department of Technical Education & Training P.O.Box 557, Olcott Mawatha, Colombo 10 Sri Lanka
- 011 234 8897