Ministry of Education recently introduced vocational subjects for G.C.E. Advanced Levels under the '13 Years Certified Education' Program. The Education Minister has directed the Ministry of Education to implement the project in order to provide education for all children as some children under the current system do not have the opportunity to continue education beyond the Ordinary Levels.
About 250,000 to 300,000 students sit for the G.C.E. Ordinary Level Examinations every year but around 120,000 students lose the opportunity to follow studies beyond that. The new project will allow the students, who do not pass the G.C.E. Ordinary Level to proceed to Advanced Level, to pursue vocational studies to succeed in the future.
Under the project 26 new vocational subjects are introduced for students who do not pass the G.C.E. Ordinary Level. Once they finished the vocational education course they will be awarded an NVQ level 4 certification. These vocational subjects will come under the newly introduced stream which is referred to as the Professional Curriculum, which consists of two parts as General Curriculum and Applied Curriculum.
The General curriculum will cover 9 main subjects and it is compulsory to complete this subject stream within the first six months of the academic year. The General Curriculum subjects are as follows;
- First Language (Sinhala or Tamil)
- Applied English and Communication Skills Development
- Aesthetics and related skills
- Information and Communication Technology skills
- Citizenship Education and related skills
- Health and life skills necessary for social well-being
- Entrepreneurship skills
- Sports and other related activities
- Career guidance programs
Thereafter, students will choose one subject from the Applied Curriculum which will be completed during the remaining 18 months of the academic year.
- Child Psychology and care
- Health and Social Care
- Physical Education and Sports
- Performing Arts
- Event Management
- Arts and Crafts
- Interior Designing
- Fashion Designing
- Graphics Designing
- Art and Designing
- Applied Horticultural Studies
- Livestock Product Studies
- Food Processing Studies
- Aquatic Resource Studies
- Plantation Product Studies
- Construction Studies
- Automobile Studies
- Electrical and Electronic Studies
- Textile and Apparel Studies
- Metal Fabrication Studies
- Aluminum Fabrication Studies
- Software Development
- Web Development
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Environmental Studies
The primary objective of the '13 Years Certified Education' program is for students who fail the G.C.E. O/L examination to receive vocational education, provide certified professionals to build the economy and eliminate unemployment.
Visit for www.moe.gov.lk more information.